January 19, 2021
An international mining company is looking to hire a qualified archivist for a term of 40 hours to assess the paper and electronic documents in its Salt Lake County office and to develop recommendations for implementing a records management and archival program. The records include paper and electronic maps, drawings, analyses, electronic files, reports, rock samples, and government communications. Final recommendations should include proposals for policies, procedures, software, and staffing necessary to support corporate user access to critical information for project assessments.
- Two or more years’ experience in archives or records management,
- Experience in archival or records management program planning,
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Master’s degree in library science or archival science, or
- Certification from the Academy of Certified Archivists, or Institute of Certified Records Managers.
The salary for the position is negotiable, depending on experience. Travel expenses will not be reimbursed.
For more information about the position, please contact Thomas J. Serenko at email@example.com.
November 15, 2020
Recordings of the presentations from this year’s Fall Caucus are now available. Speakers included Ryan Lee, Darcy Pumphrey, Rebecca Nelson, Kimberly Anderson, Katherine Dirk, and Nathan Gerth. Recordings of the business meeting and open forum are also provided.
Copies of the recordings are available at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Ry52u5uStH43uuOOmui5YI1TnC2OHpUm?usp=sharing
October 19, 2020
We are pleased to announce that we have finalized the agenda for the 2020 Fall Caucus meeting–“Archival Work in a Time of Crisis”-—to be held via Zoom on Friday, October 30, 2020, and registration is now open!
Register at the following link: https://forms.gle/WEBQVnPF1mcUMWnk7
Registration is FREE and open to all CIMA members, students, and non-member colleagues. However, to ensure a secure meeting, you are REQUIRED to register and provide your email. Information about how to join the virtual event will be delivered to the e-mail address provided.
The meeting is planned to be held from 10am-noon MDT / 9am-11am PDT. We have some great presentations planned, along with a brief update and discussion on CIMA-related issues. We will then open up the remainder of the meeting to anyone who would like to share briefly (5 min. max) and informally something they have done/learned/changed, etc. in their institution during the pandemic. You can also come with questions to pose to fellow CIMA members to learn how others are dealing with particularly difficult situations. Or, just come to listen and reconnect (virtually) with the rest of CIMA community! For more information, the agenda for the meeting is attached.
And, while registration is free, please consider making a donation of any amount to the CIMA scholarship fund. Donations can be made online at this website:
Scroll to the bottom of the page for the PayPal button.
We look to seeing you all there on October 30!
CIMA 2020 Fall Caucus Planning Committee
October 15, 2020
The Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is seeking a Digitizer-Archivist to organize, digitize, and catalog one of the most mission-critical physical collections at Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL). The incumbent will be on a new team, deployed to the Weapons Production Directorate, working for the Weapons Research Services–Secure Information Services Group.
Position responsibilities will include:
- Digitizing archival media, including paper, microfilm, microfiche, motion picture film, and video
- Creating metadata/indexing information to assist in the retrieval of material
- Quality control for digitized material as well as metadata and indexing
- Uploading digitized material and associating materials with catalog information
- Accession new collections material
Those hired to senior positions will also:
- Provide research librarian support to customers
- Implement machine learning and artificial intelligence tools to efficiently catalog the collection
For more information about the position, including required qualifications, salary, and benefits, visit the Los Alamos National Laboratory website at https://jobszp1.lanl.gov/OA_HTML/OA.jsp?page=/oracle/apps/irc/candidateSelfService/webui/VisVacDispPG&OAHP=IRC_EXT_SITE_VISITOR_APPL&OASF=IRC_VIS_VAC_DISPLAY&akRegionApplicationId=821&transactionid=100059083&retainAM=N&addBreadCrumb=RP&p_svid=82345&p_spid=3664350&oapc=15&oas=NxFgIg_C9X4SoLTQKB32_Q..
October 7, 2020
Dixie State University Library seeks applicants for a collaborative and innovative library paraprofessional position in Special Collections & Archives. This position is an excellent opportunity to work with a team to develop and maintain access to digital and physical collections. This position reports to the Librarian (Head) of Special Collections & Archives. Responsibilities of the position include:
- Collection Description: provide narrative descriptions for collections and high-quality descriptive and technical metadata for digital objects in keeping with national standards and protocols.
- Collection Management & Organization: inventory, process, and maintain physical and digital collections organization and arrangement schemas to ensure long-term access and preservation, according to national best standards.
- Digital Conversion: coordinate the in-house digitization of archival materials and collections, including image capture, scanning, and digital conversion of audiovisual media, following accepted preservation and access guidelines and standards. Coordinate, in collaboration with the Library’s digital collections committee, the preservation of digital content.
- Oral History Project Management: oversee the successful completion of oral histories, including transcription, editing, indexing, cataloging, and online access, using digital collection software (OHMS and Omeka).
- Research Assistance: provide customer service and research assistance in the Reading Room, to help researchers find requested information.
- Provide back-up services to circulation desk as needed.
- Perform special projects and other duties as assigned.
For more information about the position, including qualifications and salary, please see the Dixie State University job site at https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/dixie/jobs/2876228/library-paraprofessional-for-special-collections. Application review begins on October 26, 2020.