January 19, 2021
An international mining company is looking to hire a qualified archivist for a term of 40 hours to assess the paper and electronic documents in its Salt Lake County office and to develop recommendations for implementing a records management and archival program. The records include paper and electronic maps, drawings, analyses, electronic files, reports, rock samples, and government communications. Final recommendations should include proposals for policies, procedures, software, and staffing necessary to support corporate user access to critical information for project assessments.
- Two or more years’ experience in archives or records management,
- Experience in archival or records management program planning,
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Master’s degree in library science or archival science, or
- Certification from the Academy of Certified Archivists, or Institute of Certified Records Managers.
The salary for the position is negotiable, depending on experience. Travel expenses will not be reimbursed.
For more information about the position, please contact Thomas J. Serenko at email@example.com.
October 15, 2020
The Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is seeking a Digitizer-Archivist to organize, digitize, and catalog one of the most mission-critical physical collections at Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL). The incumbent will be on a new team, deployed to the Weapons Production Directorate, working for the Weapons Research Services–Secure Information Services Group.
Position responsibilities will include:
- Digitizing archival media, including paper, microfilm, microfiche, motion picture film, and video
- Creating metadata/indexing information to assist in the retrieval of material
- Quality control for digitized material as well as metadata and indexing
- Uploading digitized material and associating materials with catalog information
- Accession new collections material
Those hired to senior positions will also:
- Provide research librarian support to customers
- Implement machine learning and artificial intelligence tools to efficiently catalog the collection
For more information about the position, including required qualifications, salary, and benefits, visit the Los Alamos National Laboratory website at https://jobszp1.lanl.gov/OA_HTML/OA.jsp?page=/oracle/apps/irc/candidateSelfService/webui/VisVacDispPG&OAHP=IRC_EXT_SITE_VISITOR_APPL&OASF=IRC_VIS_VAC_DISPLAY&akRegionApplicationId=821&transactionid=100059083&retainAM=N&addBreadCrumb=RP&p_svid=82345&p_spid=3664350&oapc=15&oas=NxFgIg_C9X4SoLTQKB32_Q..
October 7, 2020
Dixie State University Library seeks applicants for a collaborative and innovative library paraprofessional position in Special Collections & Archives. This position is an excellent opportunity to work with a team to develop and maintain access to digital and physical collections. This position reports to the Librarian (Head) of Special Collections & Archives. Responsibilities of the position include:
- Collection Description: provide narrative descriptions for collections and high-quality descriptive and technical metadata for digital objects in keeping with national standards and protocols.
- Collection Management & Organization: inventory, process, and maintain physical and digital collections organization and arrangement schemas to ensure long-term access and preservation, according to national best standards.
- Digital Conversion: coordinate the in-house digitization of archival materials and collections, including image capture, scanning, and digital conversion of audiovisual media, following accepted preservation and access guidelines and standards. Coordinate, in collaboration with the Library’s digital collections committee, the preservation of digital content.
- Oral History Project Management: oversee the successful completion of oral histories, including transcription, editing, indexing, cataloging, and online access, using digital collection software (OHMS and Omeka).
- Research Assistance: provide customer service and research assistance in the Reading Room, to help researchers find requested information.
- Provide back-up services to circulation desk as needed.
- Perform special projects and other duties as assigned.
For more information about the position, including qualifications and salary, please see the Dixie State University job site at https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/dixie/jobs/2876228/library-paraprofessional-for-special-collections. Application review begins on October 26, 2020.
October 7, 2020
The Utah Department of Heritage and Arts (DHA) is seeking an Exhibit Content Researcher to assist in the development of physical and digital exhibits celebrating the 125th Anniversary of Utah’s statehood. Under the direction of the Exhibit Design Project Manager, this position is responsible for researching archival collections relevant to the exhibit design inspiration and theme. This position will also collaborate with researchers, designers, and project managers across the organization in fulfillment of Statehood commemoration goals and objectives. This is a temporary position running from October 2020-February 2021. The position can work up to 40 hours a week as needed.
The Candidate will:
- Collaborate with other Statehood Commemoration team members.
- Research topics for the Statehood project theme(s) in DHA art and history collections, State Archives collections, and any other applicable collections.
- Interpret research around Statehood project theme(s) and produce written historical narrative to be used as a foundation for exhibition content.
- Identify photographs, documents, artifacts, and other sources to be used in the physical and digital exhibits.
- Produce content that is easily digestible to a broad physical and digital audience.
- Experience in museums, especially in label writing or gallery interpretation.
- Background conducting research in history, arts, libraries, or museums.
- Experience working with and interpreting primary sources in research projects.
- Prior experience in exhibit content creation preferred.
- 2 years experience historical research.
Please send resumes and a cover letter by October 12, 2020 via email to:
Senior Project Manager
October 7, 2020
The Utah Department of Heritage and Arts (DHA) is seeking a Digital Exhibit Coordinator to develop a digital exhibit celebrating the 125th Anniversary of Utah’s statehood. The position is responsible for developing and creating content for a set of digital exhibitions using the Omeka platform. This is a temporary position running from October 2020-February 2021. The position can work up to 40 hours a week as needed.
The Candidate will:
- Collaborate with other Statehood Commemoration team members
- Develop and curate digital exhibits to highlight items in the State’s art and history
collections as well as materials from State Archives in consultation with DHA program staff
- Record metadata for items in spreadsheets and curate collections in Omeka
- Collaborate with State Archives and DHA staff
- Assist with researching and summarizing topics, develop descriptive web pages and accompanying information for digital items
- Use reference resources to discover accurate and relevant information about digitized objects
- Summarize textual historical research in a digital collection
- Edit digital files (including audio and image editing)
- Cite sources and writing for a general audience
- Experience in designing and building museum exhibits from conception to execution.
- Experience or familiarity with historical archives from exhibit content development.
- Understanding of museum and/or library best practices in collections care, especially for digital objects.
- Able to organize, present, and communicate messages effectively through design,
with an eye for detail and strong design instincts.
- Able to work collaboratively with multiple teams and diverse stakeholders across the
lifetime of the project.
- Exceptional research, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Completed, or pursuing, a college degree in a humanities-based field OR 2 years experience in digital and/or physical museum exhibitions development.
Applicants should send a resume and a cover letter by October 12, 2020 via email to:
Senior Project Manager