The Texas State Library and Archives Commission is seeking a Head of Reference to perform routine (journey-level) managerial work administering the daily operations and activities of the Information Services Department. The position seeks to ensure access to information by government officials, government employees and the general public. They provide technical expertise and guidance essential to achieving the service objectives of the department, and supervise both para-professional and professional staff. The Head of Reference works under moderate supervision, with limited latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
Primary responsibilities of the position include:
- Oversee staff including conducting performance appraisals and creating development and retention plans.
- Responsible for the analysis, acquisition, and management of the General Reference, Genealogy, and Texana collections.
- Coordinate and manage the state and federal documents depository programs.
- Oversee bibliographic services (cataloging) and inter-library loan programs.
- Provide professional reference and research services to Texas State Library users.
- Develop budget requests; monitor expenditures and related vendor performance.
- Recommend, develop, and implement policies and procedures related to library collections and public service; and monitors compliance.
- Prepare reports and provides statistics for the division and agency.
- Conducts special projects as assigned by the Division Director.
- Attends work regularly and in accordance with agency leave and attendance policies.
- Comply with all applicable agency policies and procedures, including safety and standards of conduct.
For more information about the position qualifications, salary, and to apply, please visit the Texas State Library and Archives Commission website at https://www.tsl.texas.gov/jobs/headofref. Applications close on October 1, 2021.