Utah State University (USU) Libraries seek a collaborative, innovative, and service-oriented professional to serve as the University Archivist within the Libraries’ Special Collections & Archives unit.
The University Archivist is responsible for developing, preserving and providing access to the Libraries’ collections documenting the history of Utah State University. The incumbent will actively engage university partners to acquire new materials and promote the collections through exhibition, programming, and outreach. The University Archivist will work with colleagues in the Special Collections & Archives unit to support broader reference, instruction, and outreach projects. This position is also responsible for supervising a student assistant and/or graduate fellow.
Reporting to the Unit Head for Special Collections & Archives, the position is a 12-month, tenure track faculty appointment with rank as Assistant Librarian. The anticipated start date is July 1, 2021.
The Library is especially interested in promoting an environment of diversity and excellence throughout the institution and welcomes candidates committed to fostering diverse and inclusive environments.
- Take an active role in managing the existing and ongoing acquisition of physical and digital collections appropriately housed in the University Archives.
- Accession, appraise, arrange, and describe incoming collections in both tangible and electronic formats according to established processing workflows and professional standards.
- Prepare materials for digitization, ingest, and description within CONTENTdm, DigitalCommons, Omeka, ArchivesSpace, and/or other electronic platforms.
- Provide research support for institutional requests for historical information to University entities such as Marketing, Advancement, Alumni Relations, Athletics, etc.
- Provide in-depth research assistance to users of the University Archives collections, including USU students, alumni, donors, and the general public.
- Promote the use of University Archives collections through active engagement in the Unit’s instruction program as well as through community programming.
- Support the Special Collections & Archives Unit through providing general reference service in the Reading Room, via email, and on the telephone.
- Collaborate with other Library faculty to incorporate resources from the University Archives into undergraduate and graduate library instruction and research opportunities.
- Supervise student employees, graduate assistant, and/or interns working on University Archives based projects.
- Participates in a research program (including but not limited to the curation of exhibitions, authoring publications, and presentations to professional colleagues).
For more information about the position requirements, salary, and to apply, please visit the Utah State University jobs site at https://careers-usu.icims.com/jobs/3380/university-archivist-%28assistant-librarian%29/job.