The Utah Department of Heritage & Arts is looking for a new Division Director for the Utah Division of State History.
The Division Director will:
- Exercise considerable discretion, judgement and decision-making to fulfill the division’s mission.
- Manage the division’s budget.
- Advocate for all of State History, which includes the State Historic Preservation Office, Library & Collections, National History Day Utah, the Utah State Historical Society, and Cemeteries & Burials.
- Mentor professional staff.
- Understand the value, methods and purpose of historical research.
- Support historically marginalized communities.
- Work closely with the Utah Board of State History to establish policy, strategic plans, etc.
The ideal person for this position has:
- Strong communication skills.
- An understanding of the diverse fields of public history/historic preservation and history’s role in creating and sustaining vibrant Utah communities.
- Demonstrated management skills, including at least 5 years in supervising a large staff.
- A professional background in history, museum management and historic preservation.
- A strong background in public history and experience with programs that provide services to local and regional partner organizations and the general public.
- A solid track record in creating/strengthening partnerships with community organizations, universities and donors.
Preference may be given to those with a graduate degree and professional background in public administration, history, museum studies, library science, and/or historic preservation. Preference may also be given to those with significant experience in managing organizations.
For more information about the position, and to apply, please visit Utah government jobs portal at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/utah/jobs/2968802/director-division-of-state-history?keywords=Director%2C%20State%20History&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs