The Mountain West Digital Library is hiring a Digital Metadata Librarian to support the improvement of metadata standards and metadata in digital collections from MWDL partners, including memory institutions in Utah, Nevada, Idaho, Oregon, and Wyoming. This position will also be responsible for creating, maintaining, and repurposing digital object metadata for the Marriott Library, including any collections, subjects, languages, and formats as assigned using the MWDL Dublin Core Application Profile or other necessary metadata standards.
Working with all employees in MWDL and reporting to the MWDL Director, the successful candidate will:
- Facilitate the harvest of collections metadata into MWDL and from there into the Digital Public Library of America (DPLA).
- Perform metadata audits of new collections and spot-check existing collections for ongoing conformance to standards.
- Work with new partners and repositories to resolve metadata issues and Open Archives Initiative (OAI) interoperability issues.
- Work with Web Discovery Services team at Marriott Library to execute ingestion of new collections into Ex Libris Primo. Modify normalization rules and XSL transformations as needed.
- Coordinate with DPLA staff regarding mapping and ingest of metadata into DPLA portal.
- Complete metadata work on the Marriott Library collections and conduct quality assurance on existing metadata for collections marked for MWDL ingest.
- Respond to questions about metadata from partner institutions.
- Describe new collections on website and promote them via social media. Design topic browse pages for website.
- Conduct periodic collection analyses of MWDL and prepare roadmap of our collection coverage.
- Work with appropriate task force(s) within MWDL Digitization Committee and with DPLA staff to improve metadata policies and best practices.
Additional responsibilities: Assist the MWDL Director with investigation of new technologies of interest to member repositories and other collection partners. Participate actively in appropriate professional societies and report on outcomes and work processes developed at occasional professional conferences. Other duties as assigned as MWDL grows and develops.
For more information about the position, and to apply, please visit the University of Utah jobs portal.