The Department of Heritage & Arts The Utah Division of State History is seeking a part-time Reference Librarian to assist with the operation of the Utah History Research Center. The Reference Librarian will be responsible for providing research assistance to digital customers, email, telephone, and walk in customers. This work includes providing instruction on how to use the public access catalog and other web based research tools, assisting with the completion of photo orders, pulling and refilling of collection materials, providing tours, giving presentations, creating resource guides, maintaining inventory lists, tracking statistics, handling small cash deposits, and keeping the Research Center and its equipment clean and in good working order.
This is a part-time opportunity, approximately 20 hours a week. It is “time limited” with an end date of December 30, 2018.
- knowledge of Utah and Western History
- ability to create strategies so research can be conducted effectively and efficiently
- understanding of the importance of security and special handling for rare and fragile books, manuscripts, and photographs
- ability to use logic to analyze or identify underlying principles, reasons, or facts associated with information or data to draw conclusions
- knowledge of American Library practices and theories
- knowledge of libraries and their utilization methods to include categorization/classification methods and how to store and retrieve books, documents and materials
- ability to follow a given rule or set of rules in order to arrange things or actions in a certain order
- familiar with photo scanning software
- ability to speak and write clearly, concisely and effectively
- principles, practices and procedures of an office environment
- MLS degree or equivalent library experience</
- and/or history related degree
This recruitment is open to the public and will close on Wednesday, October 19, 2016. To apply for this position please visit http://statejobs.utah.gov/jobseeker/. If you have any questions, please contact Corrie Steeves, HR Analyst, at firstname.lastname@example.org.